Close
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

I never assumed that at all. I think the po-po were smart enough to use whatever it took.

Last edited by Gman; 08-22-2019 at 14:37.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Guns View Post
    Now you're assuming the local po-po was using something larger than a .22LR. That's as bad as assuming someone's gender.

That is funny shit right there.

Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by spqrzilla View Post
    The advice that bear spray is more effective is always sourced to people who care more about bears than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktoberfest View Post
    so to be clear, are you saying this is not accurate?
    This was an interesting article, and given where i live and my time in the back country something I've spent time pondering. I would say its just the difference between lethal and nonlethal force. Bear spray's effectiveness will be determined by environment (wind) accuracy as well as the bears determination and recovery for a subsequent attack; the bear is
    temporarily incapacitated so the threat is still present. Additionally, bear spray would prove unwise to deploy once the attack is on you; chances are you would get hit with some of it. A firearm is lethal force; and if used correctly by somebody with appropriate skills and tools, will eliminate the threat. A combination of both depends on reaction time, so if you deploy bear spray in the short effectiveness window, you may or may not have time to deploy a firearm before the attack is on you. I think ultimately, the use of nonlethal force really comes down to are you OK with the threat still being present or do you want the threat eliminated. Whichever is fine as long as you are aware of the possible outcomes and are prepared for whatever you choose to do. Like anything security related preparedness and situational awareness are key.
    Last edited by MED; 08-23-2019 at 10:50.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I disagree with the idea that it would be unwise to deploy spray during an attack. I'll post the podcast that goes indepth to a lady's grizzly attack to support my position when I get home.
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

What about bear flares?
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

So, I'm reminded of two things by the posts in this thread.

First, images from a 1979 movie called "Prophecy" come to mind.

Second, (in response to the comments about a 9 year old) I was reminded of the video where a family is attacked by a buffalo and the parents bail and leave their daughter to face the wrath of the buffalo.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

I know where Sartre was when he wrote: Hell is other people. ----- Denver

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    So, I'm reminded of two things by the posts in this thread.

First, images from a 1979 movie called "Prophecy" come to mind.

Second, (in response to the comments about a 9 year old) I was reminded of the video where a family is attacked by a buffalo and the parents bail and leave their daughter to face the wrath of the buffalo.
    Bingo
    - winning is more than wanting to
    - death is infinite patience
    - wait. . . whut?

My knowledge of bears basically comes from internet videos, but i'm starting to head into the rockies on a regular basis with my sons. So i feel like I need to ramp up fast on what really works and what doesnt. If a bear was charging at me, i wouldn't try bear spray, I'd be mag dumping the 10mm. What i'm imagining with all these 22 bear shootings in the OP is a little black bear looking for food and getting shot in the eye. Some of them seem like big lazy animals -- not charging grizzlies like the one in that movie Revenant. If a curious bear came up to my campsite, I would probably spray first and shoot second. Hopefully, i'll never have to find out how effective bear spray is.

Quote Originally Posted by MED View Post

This was an interesting article, and given where i live and my time in the back country something I've spent time pondering. I would say its just the difference between lethal and nonlethal force. Bear spray's effectiveness will be determined by environment (wind) accuracy as well as the bears determination and recovery for a subsequent attack; the bear is
    temporarily incapacitated so the threat is still present. Additionally, bear spray would prove unwise to deploy once the attack is on you; chances are you would get hit with some of it. A firearm is lethal force; and if used correctly by somebody with appropriate skills and tools, will eliminate the threat. A combination of both depends on reaction time, so if you deploy bear spray in the short effectiveness window, you may or may not have time to deploy a firearm before the attack is on you. I think ultimately, the use of nonlethal force really comes down to are you OK with the threat still being present or do you want the threat eliminated. Whichever is fine as long as you are aware of the possible outcomes and are prepared for whatever you choose to do. Like anything security related preparedness and situational awareness are key.

Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by glocktoberfest View Post
    My knowledge of bears basically comes from internet videos, but i'm starting to head into the rockies on a regular basis with my sons. So i feel like I need to ramp up fast on what really works and what doesnt. If a bear was charging at me, i wouldn't try bear spray, I'd be mag dumping the 10mm. What i'm imagining with all these 22 bear shootings in the OP is a little black bear looking for food and getting shot in the eye. Some of them seem like big lazy animals -- not charging grizzlies like the one in that movie Revenant. If a curious bear came up to my campsite, I would probably spray first and shoot second. Hopefully, i'll never have to find out how effective bear spray is.
    A couple years ago, I walked out my front door with a black bear pretty close on my driveway. My GSD let out one loud bark, and that thing was running so fast to the other end of my five acre lot that I barely had time to get a pic after it was almost out of sight. Black bears really want nothing to do with people and especially dogs unless they have been desensitized with trash, food, and other crap that people leave out for them to rummage through. I have bear scat all over my lot, and I really don't see them that much. They absolutely stay away from large dogs...don't want any part of that so if you have one (especially two), they will stay away from you. They are dangerous in the spring when they are hungry especially the early springs when there is no food. My neighbor had a lama taken down by one in the early spring, which was pretty impressive and they have left deer kills on my lot in the spring. They are the most dangerous when you enter a sow's territory where she has her cubs. I think situational awareness is your best tool. You can clearly see when you are in their territory if you are looking. All the years I lived up here in bear, mountain lion, and bobcat territory I've never had an issue with the kids and GSDs hanging out on my lot or campsite during the day...however, evening time come in the house. My only close call in the back country was seeing fresh cat tracks along the river bank from a cat that I scared off before I saw it; that could have been a bad situation. Brown bears are far more confident and very powerful animals; stay vigilant in their territory because they will absolutely challenge you if they see you as a threat or if you have something they want like a fresh kill. My niece has a cabin up by Leadville; her biggest encounter at this point hiking the trails up there was with another dog attacking her dog causing a lot of damage. She carries bear spray to protect her dogs, and her CCW to protect herself.
    Last edited by MED; 08-23-2019 at 16:19.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MED View Post
    A couple years ago, I walked out my front door with a black bear pretty close on my driveway. My GSD let out one loud bark, and that thing was running so fast to the other end of my five acre lot that I barely had time to get a pic after it was almost out of sight. Black bears really want nothing to do with people and especially dogs unless they have been desensitized with trash, food, and other crap that people leave out for them to rummage through. I have bear scat all over my lot, and I really don't see them that much. They absolutely stay away from large dogs...don't want any part of that so if you have one (especially two), they will stay away from you. They are dangerous in the spring when they are hungry especially the early springs when there is no food. My neighbor had a lama taken down by one in the early spring, which was pretty impressive and they have left deer kills on my lot in the spring. They are the most dangerous when you enter a sow's territory where she has her cubs. I think situational awareness is your best tool. You can clearly see when you are in their territory if you are looking. All the years I lived up here in bear, mountain lion, and bobcat territory I've never had an issue with the kids and GSDs hanging out on my lot or campsite during the day...however, evening time come in the house. My only close call in the back country was seeing fresh cat tracks along the river bank that I scared off before I saw it; that could have been a bad situation. Brown bears are far more confident and very powerful animals; stay vigilant in their territory because they will absolutely challenge you if they see you as a threat or if you have something they want like a fresh kill. My niece has a cabin up by Leadville; her biggest encounter at this point hiking the trails up there was with another dog attacking her dog causing a lot of damage. She carries bear spray to protect her dogs, and her CCW to protect herself.
    Agree with this all the way.

Here is the podcast about a grizzly attack: https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...d-by-a-grizzly
    This one is good and covers a lot of things. These guys have a two part podcast covering the time their group was attacked by a grizzly when they were hunting with Remi Warren as well.

Here is Remi's short version and general bear tips podcast. https://www.themeateater.com/listen/...n-bear-country
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.