Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck tent?

Machine Gunner

Default Truck tent?

Anyone using a tent for the bed of your truck? As I get older being up off the ground on a nice cushy air mattress has become very appealing lol. Looking online looks like a decent one will run $250-$350. Any recommendations appreciated.

Blog Entries

My previous truck had a topper and I had intentions of camping in the back of it. Turns out my wife preferred the tent. I was thinking the topper was a nice option because it was better for the elements than a tent.

Do you use a cot when you tent camp? I?ve always found sleeping on a cot when camping perfectly comfortable.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

I would like to know who keeps lowering the floors in my home and the ground beneath me. Let me know if you spot him, Doc!
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Fleeing Idaho to get IKEA Bailey Guns's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have one and have used it several times. I think mine is made by Napier. I have the truck tent and the optional ground tent. I use them together and provides lots of room for stuff. Mine has a floor in it. If I had to do it over I might consider getting one without the floor so the truck doesn't always have to be unloaded to set it up. On the other hand, most of the stuff comes outta the truck anyway, so...pros and cons to both. I haven't really found any issues with this tent. Seems sturdy enough, has lots of headroom, lots of windows/ventilation, little storage bags/cubbies built in, good quality, sturdy zippers, carry/storage bags, etc... But this is the only one I've ever used to I can't give an opinion on other brands.

There was another one I wanted but couldn't find. It was made of a heavier canvas-type material and looked really cool. Can't even remember the name of it now.

ETA: Forgot to mention it also has a rain fly for a little extra protection and the window up front allows you to pass thru into the back of your truck (or run a charge cord for phone, etc) if you need to and have a slider in your truck.

Truck tent with the optional ground tent:

Inside the truck tent:

Truck tent w/canopy by itself:
    Last edited by Bailey Guns; 08-25-2019 at 08:29.
    Stella - my best girl ever.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"
    This message brought to you by Donald Trump

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
    Do you use a cot when you tent camp? I?ve always found sleeping on a cot when camping perfectly comfortable.
    I tried a cot, can't stand it. Wife loves it. I like an air mattress in the bed of the truck.

I bought two of the Disc-O-Bed XL sized cots that can be stacked. Supposed to be all that and a bag o chips...hate the damned thing. Wife loves it. They're very sturdy and well built out of high-quality materials but I find them extremely uncomfortable.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"

Blog Entries

Kodiak Canvas is the one I really wanted. Couldn't find one and the company said they wouldn't have one available for my truck for several months when I was looking:

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/canvas-truck-tent-6-ft/
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"

I think mine may be a Napier as well. If I remember I'll check the brand. With a full size bed, you can also take normal mattresses (Full). I've also *gasp* driven with it up short distances. It tolerates 30-35mph just fine, so it's convenient for short relocation.

And yeah, Kodiak is the top-end, but I have no experience to say how well they handle wind while driving. I presume they would do as well or better. On the other hand, they are probably heavier too.

I'm the OPie of this thread Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you look these up by size? I was hoping one of my tents would fit on my trailer, but so far none of them do.

My wife bought cots this year and loves them. I slept on one and didn't find it comfortable. It was assembled a little short, and more paying would have helped. I was surprised though. I thought I was about to be spoiled.
    Minimize, minimize, minimize.

I think you *might* be able look them up by vehicle compatibility and may be able to reverse engineer that if you are trying to trailer it (not sure if that is what you mean). Certainly you can look them up by length. I got mine as an open box on Amazon IIRC for next to nothing. That said I think a lot of the clips/straps are intended to work with a truck bed so I have my doubts it would function on any kind of a trailer except one with sides that approximate the height of a truck bed if that is what you are doing. At any rate, for vehicle purchases you can either look up specific compatibility or read reviews, usually there is enough of them to discern if it will or won't for your specific truck.

Gourmet Catfood Connoisseur StagLefty's Avatar

Check Smittybuilt truck tents-that's where my son bought the one for the trailer we built.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to Fight, he'll just kill you.
    NRA Certified-Pistol,Shotgun,Rifle,Muzzle Loading Rifle,Home Firearms Safety,Chief Range Safety Officer