Close
    Machine Gunner

Default Need help identifying revolver

Got this from a great uncle that passed. Dont know anything about it. Looks barely shot but I did shoot two cylinders of 38 special and it shot well. Serial number starts with BDY. Paperwork makes it appear like its 1980s? Looks like a Smith and Wesson model 36 maybe?

PhotoPictureResizer_190827_081840222-1238x1651.jpg

20190827_082011.jpg

Blog Entries

Looks like a 36. The model should be stamped on the inside of the crane area when you open the cylinder.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Machine Gunner

Thanks for the info when I opened the cylinder it says mod 60-3. So I'm guessing a model 60 instead of 36. Now I just need to figure out the year!

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

I think the 36 was available in blued or nickel finish. This looks like a Model 60 in stainless. There should also be any revisions (dash) and the serial # located where Ray mentioned. S&W has well documented serial # information if you want to get an idea of when it was made. They can even provide a 'letter' (for a fee) that will tell you when it was made, which distributor purchased it, etc.

It's a nice pre-Saf-T-Hammer S&W. Just a SWAG on my part, but maybe 1980s?

ETA: Damn, I got distracted away from posting this response and now it's kinda' moot. Squirrel!
    Last edited by Gman; 08-27-2019 at 07:47.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

High Power Shooter

Nice gun!

Model 60-3 made roughly 1988-1990.

Keep it- everybody should have at least one classic J-frame snub.

I bought my NIB .38 60-12 in 1998 with one of my first 2LT paychecks.

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

The first gun I ever bought was a 686 (armed security work) during that same time period. I was thinking a 60 like this would make a great companion. See that ugly zit (hammer lock) on the post-Saf-T-Hammer .38 below?
    RevosM.jpg
    Last edited by Gman; 08-27-2019 at 10:11.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill