Close

Thread: Too hot?

Paper Hunter

Default Too hot?

Now that I finally have a suppressor for my Glock 17, I'm looking at HD ammo and suspect I may have a problem. For my altitude (6700 ft), speed of sound is about 1090 fps. I have 300 rounds of Federal 147g HST +P that I bought several years ago. It's rated at 1050 fps out of a 4" barrel but I have a 5" barrel so that adds about 50 fps. Hence I think this ammo is just over the sonic crack limit. Alas, I can't test around here (at least at room temp).

I'll buy some good ammo I'm sure will stay subsonic. But am I correct in thinking the stuff I have now is too hot and defeats the point of a suppressor?

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

The 147g HST non-+P perform quite well. Have you given that some thought?

Last edited by Gman; 11-29-2019 at 13:26.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Woodsmith with "Mod-like" Powers

For ultimate quiet, yes supersonic ammo is not ideal. Still gonna be a good deal quieter through the can, though.
    "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your ignorance"

Thomas Sowell

www.timkulincabinetry.com

See our reviews below:

http://www.thumbtack.com/Tim-Kulin-C...service/788419

Should still help a lot to bring the noise down. Subsonic will be the most quiet you can get, so you may want to look at the standard pressure load like Gman mentions. But I wouldn't stress over it if you have plenty of the +P.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    For ultimate quiet, yes supersonic ammo is not ideal. Still gonna be a good deal quieter through the can, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewalrus View Post
    Should still help a lot to bring the noise down. Subsonic will be the most quiet you can get, so you may want to look at the standard pressure load like Gman mentions. But I wouldn't stress over it if you have plenty of the +P.
    What they said. Suppressing even high velocity stuff takes a lot of the bark away.

I have very little experience shooting suppressed but I've mostly shot 5.56 and 7.62x51 and even those rifle calibers at normal velocities were much more enjoyable suppressed.

People say nothing is impossible but I do nothing every day.
    My Feedback

Paper Hunter

Cool, thanks guys. I'll pick up some standard pressure and keep the +P in reserve. The hot stuff is probably subsonic at Denver altitude and certainly if I go lower, just not up here. Probably overthinking this but that's what nerds do ;-)

Paper Hunter

Is not speed of sound mostly dependent upon temperature and a tiny bit on humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Zcsdkr View Post
    Is not speed of sound mostly dependent upon temperature and a tiny bit on humidity?
    Speed of sound depends on density. Barometric pressure (including the lack of pressure at altitude), temp, and humidity can all change the speed of sound.

Newbie, or Trading Post Troll Jayhawk's Avatar

Then Speed of sound is mostly effected by temperature, my E-6B flight computer aka, wiz wheel will prove, also my college aerodynamics class.