Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Carries A Danged Big Stick buffalobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hoyt
    Posts
    14,542

    Default Thermal/night vision scopes

    Coyote and skunk activity up alot this fall. Thinking maybe pick up something entry level for the yard gun.

    Brands to look at or stay away from? Price range for decent 100-200 yd performance?
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim


    Feedback

  2. #2
    Industry Partner BPTactical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Metro
    Posts
    13,224

    Default

    About the most economical thing your going to get is the Sionyx line. They are not true "NVO" as they are a digital low light camera but they do work ok at close range. https://www.sionyx.com/collections/a...n-camera-range

    For a true Thermal you are going to tap the $2500+ range for something decent and recoil rated. Bering and IRAY are both good optics and within "Reasonable" price ranges.
    Preferred pronouns are like bright, vibrant colors on snakes and frogs.
    Its nature's way of telling you to stay the fuck away from them.

    Gun Control - seeking a Hardware solution for a Software problem...

  3. #3
    Paper Hunter
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I have a Sightmark Wraith HD that I have played with. I've shot it quite a bit in daylight and am quite happy with it. My range doesn't allow night time shooting but I could see pretty well to 100 yards out my front door and would expect 200 yards to be fine with the included illuminator. Eurooptic has demo versions available for $370.

  4. #4
    Carries A Danged Big Stick buffalobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hoyt
    Posts
    14,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BPTactical View Post
    About the most economical thing your going to get is the Sionyx line. They are not true "NVO" as they are a digital low light camera but they do work ok at close range. https://www.sionyx.com/collections/a...n-camera-range

    For a true Thermal you are going to tap the $2500+ range for something decent and recoil rated. Bering and IRAY are both good optics and within "Reasonable" price ranges.
    That camera sounds interesting. The more research I do the more I think I am just too cheap for some stuff.
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim


    Feedback

  5. #5
    Carries A Danged Big Stick buffalobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hoyt
    Posts
    14,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linkless View Post
    I have a Sightmark Wraith HD that I have played with. I've shot it quite a bit in daylight and am quite happy with it. My range doesn't allow night time shooting but I could see pretty well to 100 yards out my front door and would expect 200 yards to be fine with the included illuminator. Eurooptic has demo versions available for $370.
    Good info, will check them out.
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim


    Feedback

  6. #6
    The "Godfather" of COAR Great-Kazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Washboard Alley, AZ.
    Posts
    47,458

    Default

    The ATN series has some decent reviews. I ran the 4K unit in co. Worked for local events. No matter what you buy, the most important item to have is a good illuminator. Those will run another $2-500, which will turn what ever you go with, in to a much more effective unit.

    Illuminators are like holsters. You can buy a $12 uncle mikes, for that $900 pistol, or $80-150 for one that works and last . What ever you go with, i have a basic, somewhat decent illuminator i can let you try out, if interested.

    I'd let you borrow it, but there's enough chainsaws missing i'd rather not go there
    The Great Kazoo's Feedback

    "The truth doesn't mind being questioned, while a lie doesn't like being challenged."

  7. #7
    Varmiteer zimagold's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    504

    Default Thermal/night vision scopes

    100-200yds at night can be really far and depends on what you are trying to do. On a static range, an IR laser and 1x PVS14 can ring 200yd steel all night (high visibility). However, if your hunting coyotes and they are stopped and not looking your way (No eye reflection), 200yds would be a very challenging shot even with a PVS-27. That's assuming no fog or other issues that impact visibility.

    Thermal is great for finding things but is limited by resolution for proper ID at night. My NOX35 allows for shooting 2" wide steel I targets at 200yds, but I am not actually resolving the target, I'm just holding center of a hot pixel. Very long shots are possible, but are you shooting a coyote or your neighbors dog? Are you shooting center of the heat or actually aiming for the vitals?

    I've tried quite a few night vision and thermal devices. Min budget as BP mentioned is probably $2.5k for Thermal and $3k for a Gen 3 passive scope. The Gen 1/2 stuff I have tried felt pretty worthless. I've never dabbled in the digital scopes which are likely better budget options these days when paired with a powerful illuminator.

    The Hogster 35 (384res, 2.0x Optical, $2600), I owned was probably a good example of the $2.5K thermal price point. Something like a skunk would be <80yd, coyote <140yd. Really comes down to user expectations and what they consider acceptable.
    Last edited by zimagold; 12-06-2022 at 09:04.

  8. #8
    Carries A Danged Big Stick buffalobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hoyt
    Posts
    14,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Great-Kazoo View Post
    The ATN series has some decent reviews. I ran the 4K unit in co. Worked for local events. No matter what you buy, the most important item to have is a good illuminator. Those will run another $2-500, which will turn what ever you go with, in to a much more effective unit.

    Illuminators are like holsters. You can buy a $12 uncle mikes, for that $900 pistol, or $80-150 for one that works and last . What ever you go with, i have a basic, somewhat decent illuminator i can let you try out, if interested.

    I'd let you borrow it, but there's enough chainsaws missing i'd rather not go there
    , I'll drop by and try it.
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim


    Feedback

  9. #9
    Carries A Danged Big Stick buffalobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hoyt
    Posts
    14,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zimagold View Post
    100-200yds at night can be really far and depends on what you are trying to do. On a static range, an IR laser and 1x PVS14 can ring 200yd steel all night (high visibility). However, if your hunting coyotes and they are stopped and not looking your way (No eye reflection), 200yds would be a very challenging shot even with a PVS-27. That's assuming no fog or other issues that impact visibility.

    Thermal is great for finding things but is limited by resolution for proper ID at night. My NOX35 allows for shooting 2" wide steel I targets at 200yds, but I am not actually resolving the target, I'm just holding center of a hot pixel. Very long shots are possible, but are you shooting a coyote or your neighbors dog? Are you shooting center of the heat or actually aiming for the vitals?

    I've tried quite a few night vision and thermal devices. Min budget as BP mentioned is probably $2.5k for Thermal and $3k for a Gen 3 passive scope. The Gen 1/2 stuff I have tried felt pretty worthless. I've never dabbled in the digital scopes which are likely better budget options these days when paired with a powerful illuminator.

    The Hogster 35 (384res, 2.0x Optical, $2600), I owned was probably a good example of the $2.5K thermal price point. Something like a skunk would be <80yd, coyote <140yd. Really comes down to user expectations and what they consider acceptable.
    Been hoping you would chime in.

    Thermal would be for spotting/detection only and NV for identification and sighting. Probably Mrs bo or one of the minions using hand held or tripod mounted.

    ID ability is top of list. We have a neighbor who has a pair of Great Pyrennes dogs that escape now and again. They are good coyote hunters and have been great help keeping numbers down.

    Would like to be able to stage from the deck but will probably have to stage from large dirt pile on the minions mx track out back. Deck would require ability to ID and sight 125-200 yard. Dirt pile is 50 yds closer to coyote path and raised 8-10 ft in elevation.
    Last edited by buffalobo; 12-11-2022 at 07:51.
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim


    Feedback

  10. #10
    Varmiteer zimagold's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    504

    Default Thermal/night vision scopes

    If you are just looking for spotting with the thermal, this might be a good option to get started. I?ve yet to see one in person, but hard to beat the price point for 35mm 384 scanner. Decent reviews on the hide, close out after being a commercial flop for Burris around the $2k price point.

    $800. https://www.eurooptic.com/Burris-BTH...ld-300631.aspx

    Edit: A few other online retailers have these for under $700 but I?ve never purchased from any of those sites.
    Last edited by zimagold; 12-11-2022 at 12:42.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •