Close
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223

Thread: Love them dogs

Possesses Antidote for "Cool" Gman's Avatar

No kidding, BG.

What was your secret to getting Reba to take to her 'den'? We've tried food enticements. He settled in once and I closed the door and he made an enormous racket. He stuck his paw out and I held it until he fell asleep. That's the only time we've been able to get him to use it.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Hello, my name is: KNOWN Gunner's Avatar

Damn dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machine Gunner

Gman, congrats!! Good looking fur baby, here?s to many happy, fun years!

Fleeing Idaho to get IKEA Bailey Guns's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have 3 kennels available to our dogs. The oldest Corgi and the heeler have laid claim to 2 of them. The others go in and out frequently on their own to get away and nap. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how we got them accustomed to going in. They just did it on their own for the most part.

Tell the heeler "puppy house" and he damn near knocks everyone over trying to get into his kennel. With Izzy we have to practically coax her to come out. I think they like the peace and quiet in there.
    Stella - my best girl ever.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"
    This message brought to you by Donald Trump

Billy Jack Style Crotch Kicker buffalobo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    No kidding, BG.

What was your secret to getting Reba to take to her 'den'? We've tried food enticements. He settled in once and I closed the door and he made an enormous racket. He stuck his paw out and I held it until he fell asleep. That's the only time we've been able to get him to use it.
    Mostly just time, repetition and a few extra treats. A little tough it out while she fussed. Few nights one of us layed/slept next to kennel. Mrs bo found a YouTube channel with long strings of music supposed to be soothing that Reba seemed to respond to.

Probably 7-10 days total with first 4 nights being rough.

Helluva lot more effort than our departed heeler. Brought him home, told him kennel was his spot and he went to kennel anytime I went to bedroom, for 15 yrs.
    If you're unarmed, you are a victim

Feedback

I know where Sartre was when he wrote: Hell is other people. ----- Denver

No idea if this would be a sound recommendation but my mother kennel trained her dogs by feeding them in it & never put them in as punishment. She also covered 2 sides to give them privacy. Probably all obvious suggestions.

They now prefer to nap in their kennels as adults during the day & will enter & exist on command.
    - winning is more than wanting to
    - death is infinite patience
    - wait. . . whut?

Fleeing Idaho to get IKEA Bailey Guns's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^^ That sounds like good advice.
    Stella - my best girl ever.
    11/04/1994 - 12/23/2010

"America First!"
    This message brought to you by Donald Trump

We have a cover for the crate...and he likes to tug on it. We put shirts that we had worn inside to make it 'familiar', but no joy. He pulls the shirts out (probably thinks he's rescuing them). Put his food in it and he didn't touch it. We can get him to grab treats from the inside, but he doesn't settle into it. He's happy to sprawl out on the floor.

He's limited to the family room which has the dog door to the back yard. Finally got some sleep last night and he went out twice on his own. At least getting him to go outside on his own has been pretty much effortless. No accidents after being here 2 days.

He loves to bite at my shoes and pant legs while I'm trying to walk. He's taken a couple of short air trips and had his toes stepped on twice. I'm hoping he'll figure that out before he takes me down and I squish him.
    Last edited by Gman; 09-12-2019 at 08:18.
    "Be not intimidated...nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice."
    ― John Adams
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

I know where Sartre was when he wrote: Hell is other people. ----- Denver

Maybe he needs to be a little more hungry?
    - winning is more than wanting to
    - death is infinite patience
    - wait. . . whut?

Unfortunately he has to be eating regularly right now. He has a little giardia in his system (not uncommon in CO) and gets probiotics on his food and 1/4 of a pill wrapped in a bit of cheese twice a day.

At this point he'll either eventually take to it...or not. We're going to keep trying.

I'm planning on wearing him out a bit in the yard and we'll see if he can handle being on a leash down to the mailbox and back.
    ― John Adams
    Winston Churchill