Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stamp Licker/Whore TriggerHappy's Avatar

Default Billet vs. Forged?

Just curious what the pros and cons were to the billet lowers and uppers compared to the forged? Thinking about building a new toy, but not sure what to start with.

Repost Police (aka: Cupcake) Irving's Avatar

This has been covered a few times in other threads, but I think most of the good info was in a thread that was high jacked so I have no idea what to tell you to search under.
    Proletariat.

"When Students cheat on exams it's because our School System values grades more than Students value learning." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I would also like to encourage you to use the search function.

If you want a simple answer, then here it is: forged is cheaper. If you want more information, please do a search.

cheers
    Let me keep my wealth; Redistribute my work ethic! ...And contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!"

Repost Police (aka: Cupcake) Irving's Avatar
    Proletariat.

"When Students cheat on exams it's because our School System values grades more than Students value learning." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks, I had read quite a few threads but haven't seen anything on it. I will try the search function and see what I can find. Still firguring out the forum.

Used the search function, found a few threads that talked about it a little. From what i can understand Billets have a little tighter fit, cleaner lines and a couple built in features? Oh yea, and the price tag.. I guess I was just looking for a cut and dry example of the pros and cons. I dont know that I would want to spend extra $$ when I am already happy with the forged that I own now.

In the end there is no huge difference.

There are lots of forged M-16 lowers with hundreds of thousands through them, and they still run just fine.
    There Are No Unlockable Doors. There Are No Unwinnable Wars.
    There Are No Unrightable Wrongs Or Unsingable Songs

Paper Hunter

i am no metals expert, but from what i understand, forged items are stronger than billet, and billet is better than cast. think of it like this, a billet is a block of metal that you remove metal from to form a shape. a forging is a piece of metal that has been rough shaped by massive amounts of pressure. the process of forging makes the metal denser in the thin areas. an axe head for example is shaped by beating hot metal with a hammer, and then the eye for the handle is done the same way, by beating a tool through the piece. while i know there is alot more to it than just that, that is the simplest way i know to describe it.
    i race off-road, baja and short course. the big trucks with 900 hp that weigh up to 7000#, mostly use forged wheels because they are a little bit stronger than billet. also the high dollar aluminum engine blocks start with a forging. cast is the cheapest, and is avoided when possible.

Billet is the new COOL.
    forged have worked for 40 years.

billet is more expensive (think $200+ for a stripped lower)
    forged you can find for $80+

in the end, you will have the cool factor if you get billet, but functional wise either one will work just fine.
    All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break em for no one.

My Feedback

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    In the end there is no huge difference.

There are lots of forged M-16 lowers with hundreds of thousands through them, and they still run just fine.
    +1.. other than the cool factor

oops... just saw Sniper's post! +1 What these folks say!
    Quote Originally Posted by crays View Post
    It doesn't matter how many rifles you buy...they're still cheaper than one wife, in the long run.
    Coarf Feedback