Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gong Shooter

Default Will deer eat potatoes?

Mrs. 10x handed me a small bag of old potatoes and said to put them in the scrub oak so the deer will eat them. I told her I didn't think deer would eat potatoes. Opinions?

Yes, they are raw. Don't tell me they would, if fixed with all the right seasonings etc!

Banned

Yup they will munch em.

Before we put a fence around the tater boxes they'd dig em up.

My Dear will, she prefers twice baked

Yes they will but keep in mind if you attract the deer you attract the predators as well.
    Quality Gunsmithing, Armorers Services and Machine work at it's finest
    www.bptacticalservices.com

Liberals are like a Slinky.

They don't serve any legitimate purpose but they are entertaining as hell when pushed down a flight of stairs......

MOLON LABE

Banned

My what big teeth you have.

SSDG

Just the usual caution about feeding wildlife--you may be sorry you ever started, even after you quit. Just heard a guy saying yesterday at the fitness club that he had put out some corn under his bird feeders one year for a while, and the deer came in and absolutely destroyed his yard. He never did it again...but they kept coming back for three more years looking for it and eating everything in sight. If you have anything you don't want eaten, you may pay for feeding them.

And, if you ever intend to hunt them, you may be accused of baiting which is prohibited in some areas.

In Hunters Safety class they used the example: You ask the local farmer if you could hunt geese on his pond. He says OK. But, unbeknownst to you, Granny goes out to the pond and feeds the geese her day old bread. The Game Warden comes along and accuses you of hunting baited geese. In this case (migratory birds) a Federal infraction.

Jack

Gong Shooter

I live in an upscale residential area next to the national forest. We have deer through the yard all the time. They eat our flowers, bushes, lawn. Might as well give them some potatoes. I would like to hunt them. I could sit on my deck and when they come up to me, as they do, hit them on the head.

Varmiteer

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    I live in an upscale residential area next to the national forest. We have deer through the yard all the time. They eat our flowers, bushes, lawn. Might as well give them some potatoes. I would like to hunt them. I could sit on my deck and when they come up to me, as they do, hit them on the head.
    That's no shit, I see them act like dogs all the time, had a little fawn eating the little rubber nubbies of the new tires on my service truck once. Weird shit to say the least. Easiest place to find sheds is the rockrimmon area.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Yep, git out tha ol' i-ron skillit and nock 'em in the noggin. Deers won't make no fuss er noise an you'll have a freezer fulla meat.

Paper Hunter

Deer were "tasting" the pumpkins in our garden a few years ago. They didn't eat much but they clearly left marks from their teeth in a couple different pumpkins.
    America--Land of the free because of the brave!

Proud father of a USMC Machine Gunner