Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CC with some string

Had to pick up some steel with a buddy today from DenCol over at I70/I25 and Washington. Around here I've been carrying my .25acp pocket pistol, fairly low-risk area and its better than nothing if I do have to use it.
    I don't feel comfortable entering that area without a decent amount of firepower... and was reminded why when we stopped at the gas station there and got some interesting looks from all the wannabe gang bangers, more than one of whom I could see printing.
    Decided to take the 4" .357, even though I don't have a real holster for it. No baggy clothes or jackets to conceal it in, so I Mexican carried with an OSS string holster... gotta say I'm pretty impressed with how it worked, and I'll probably use it again. Tested it out before I went so I could get it adjusted properly, reholstering is a little clumsy but the draw is fast and smooth.
    The OSS used this in Germany where if needed they could ditch their gun and wouldn't have an obvious holster to raise questions (like when coming upon a checkpoint where they would be searched), and I know people in some NPEs that use it today. Simple and it works. Now, for an extended period of time real holster would be better, without the padding of a holster it started getting a little uncomfortable, but you know what they say... a carry gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, its supposed to give you comfort.
    Last edited by mcantar18c; 06-14-2011 at 14:45.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves."

Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by mcantar18c View Post
    I don't feel comfortable entering that area without a decent amount of firepower... and was reminded why when we stopped at the gas station there and got some interesting looks from all the wannabe gang bangers, more than one of whom I could see printing.
    The thing that never ceases to amaze me is the number of gangbangers and wannabes walking around the Capitol area (16th St Mall, Colfax & Broadway) who are quite obviously carrying full-sized automatic pistols in their waistband, SOB, under a long T-shirt or sports jersey. I'm fairly certain they do not have CCW permits from the types of tattoos and bling I'm seeing. I can understand them being invisible to the sheeple, but the DPD seem to turn a blind eye to it as well. Unless they are spotted selling drugs, snatching a purse, or punching someone in the face the cops don't seem to hassle them at all.

Off topic, what kind of .25 do you carry? A Jetfire?

I tried searching for a how you rigged up your gun with some string but couldn't find anything. Got a pic?

Thinks Rambo Was A Wussy Ranger's Avatar

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD)

I regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. ~ Nathan Hale (final words before being hanged by the British, September 22, 1776.)

If at first you don't succeed -- skydiving is not for you

Quote Originally Posted by Clint45 View Post
    The thing that never ceases to amaze me is the number of gangbangers and wannabes walking around the Capitol area (16th St Mall, Colfax & Broadway) who are quite obviously carrying full-sized automatic pistols in their waistband, SOB, under a long T-shirt or sports jersey. I'm fairly certain they do not have CCW permits from the types of tattoos and bling I'm seeing. I can understand them being invisible to the sheeple, but the DPD seem to turn a blind eye to it as well. Unless they are spotted selling drugs, snatching a purse, or punching someone in the face the cops don't seem to hassle them at all.

Off topic, what kind of .25 do you carry? A Jetfire?
    Reason #582405 to stay the fawk away from Denver at all costs.
    And yup, its a Jetfire. I feel like an idiot carrying it around when I have more potent guns available but I keep telling myself "its better than nothing..." cause its just so damn easy to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by al-x View Post
    I tried searching for a how you rigged up your gun with some string but couldn't find anything. Got a pic?
    You must not hang out in the Late Night thread
    Here ya go (I really should have posted this here and linked to it there):

Quote Originally Posted by mcantar18c View Post
    I say go for it. I'd do the same if I had the funds (and already had some of the other guns I want more lol).

Ok pics as promised. About as KISS as you can get. I was a little skeptical about how well it would work but I was pretty impressed. I figured it would just fall out but if your pants fit like they should and your belt does its job it holds the gun pretty securely. I loosened my belt a bit for the pics cause it was easier.

Paracord loop (reused from something else, and shows it, planning on picking up some new cord).

Tie it around your belt like this. Don't know WTF happened to the pic but you get the idea... index and middle finger are the belt and my thumb is the gun.

Holds the gun like this. My thumb is just holding the left side of the handle from tipping cause of the center of gravity, the gun is completely supported by the loop and is actually pretty secured in there although it doesn't look like it... I imagine different guns might hold a little better or worse depending on the design.

Another nice thing about it is that you can adjust it to not only whatever gun you've got (duh), but you can fine tune where you want the gun to sit... higher up for easy accessibility, make it longer for "deep cover."

And if you need to ditch your gun quick (what this is really intended for) you can and you don't have a holster to worry about on top of it. Because of how its tied on the belt you can just pull on the top when there's no gun there and it just pulls off. More practically for most of us though, if we happen to not have our gun on us (have to leave it in your vehicle or whatever) the holster stays well out of the way... I haven't taken the holster off since this morning and honestly I forgot it was there.

Also, for those of you white collar guys in NPE offices, set up to carry "deep cover" with black paracord (nice cord tied up neatly, unlike mine) over a black belt on black pants.... damn near unnoticeable and definitely unrecognizable.

Machine Gunner

The Jetfire is probably the best .25 automatic ever made. It holds 9 rounds and never jams, even if you rapid-fire with an improper grip.

The only negative is that it is about half as potent as a .32 ACP, so if you need to use it you might need to empty it.

Thinks Rambo Was A Wussy Ranger's Avatar

Dude, you have some serious 'gangsta' going on there with showing more underwear than pants .
    "...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD)

I regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. ~ Nathan Hale (final words before being hanged by the British, September 22, 1776.)

If at first you don't succeed -- skydiving is not for you

Ah.. ok I get it! Wow that's about as simple as it gets and now that I think about it. I don't know how I didn't understand before. I think it's called a girth hitch.

Paper Hunter

Dale Fricke sells the "Zack" holster which is basically a fancier version of the string holster. It consists of a small piece of kydex formed around the trigger guard with a string attached to it. The kydex protects the trigger guard and the string loops around the belt to hold the gun in place. The zack pops off during the draw stroke.

I have a couple for my glocks and they are great. About $15 and awesome for deep concealment. My glock 19 pretty much disappears under even a light polo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint45 View Post
    The Jetfire is probably the best .25 automatic ever made. It holds 9 rounds and never jams, even if you rapid-fire with an improper grip.

The only negative is that it is about half as potent as a .32 ACP, so if you need to use it you might need to empty it.
    Yup, I've thought about it and I figure if I ever need to use it it'd likely be at pretty close range and I'd get as close as I can to point blank (imagining a mugging or similar) in a soft area and keep pulling till it goes click. Keeping in mind that its my BUG and I'd only be using it if I'm unable to carry my primary or I'm out of ammo, both of which are pretty unlikely.
    I did find a more practical use for it though... I spent half the day today riding through the mountains (bout 40 miles, I'm sore lol) and figured if my horse lost his footing and broke a leg or we were otherwise stranded, it'd be perfect for getting something to eat without ruining the meat on a rabbit/squirrel and probably wouldn't spook the horse too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Dude, you have some serious 'gangsta' going on there with showing more underwear than pants .
    LOL... I mentioned that I loosened my belt for the pic. My pants sit just barely below my boxers, and my shirt is usually tucked in. Which brings up another point, this allows you to tuck your shirt between the gun and the string/cord, just make sure to leave it loose enough that the handle doesn't stick out.

Quote Originally Posted by al-x View Post
    Ah.. ok I get it! Wow that's about as simple as it gets and now that I think about it. I don't know how I didn't understand before. I think it's called a girth hitch.
    Never heard that term... I've always known it as an OSS string holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff350 View Post
    Dale Fricke sells the "Zack" holster which is basically a fancier version of the string holster. It consists of a small piece of kydex formed around the trigger guard with a string attached to it. The kydex protects the trigger guard and the string loops around the belt to hold the gun in place. The zack pops off during the draw stroke.

I have a couple for my glocks and they are great. About $15 and awesome for deep concealment. My glock 19 pretty much disappears under even a light polo.
    I think Raven makes a similar thing. Cool holster, but why pay when you can make one for free?