Close
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 458 SOCOM AR-15

Machine Gunner

I've been thinking about a 458S for awhile, I'm interested in hearing about how it performs on hog hunts, etc..

Newbie, or Trading Post Troll haygre's Avatar

Sorry to throw in a non sequiter, but my next build is going to be a 458 SOCOM. There does not seem to be a plethora of sites to get parts for my build. Can someone give me some more input without breaking any rules about retailer recommendations. I've found parts at JSE, Primary Arms, KM Tactical, Brownell's, and Surplus Ammo, and that's about it.

Tony Rumore / Tromix was the production part of the team that developed it.

https://tromix.com/

Very good people to do business with.
    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by haygre View Post
    Sorry to throw in a non sequiter, but my next build is going to be a 458 SOCOM. There does not seem to be a plethora of sites to get parts for my build. Can someone give me some more input without breaking any rules about retailer recommendations. I've found parts at JSE, Primary Arms, KM Tactical, Brownell's, and Surplus Ammo, and that's about it.
    Wilson combat is nice, but pricey.

Just jumped into 458 socom.... upper, barrel, bcg, etc on the way. PLUS all the necessary reloading items. Wish rcbs nade a 3-way trimmer setup for this caliber, but ai can't find one? WTF

I'm now contemplating building an upper in this cartridge as well. From everything I've read, Tromix is really the best option in regard to barrels. Second to that would be RRA. I see Brownells offers a barrel in 458S, but so far no reviews on it. Once I pull the trigger on getting the barrel from Tromix, I'll start to piece together everything else. Reloading dies will likely be on my next Midway USA purchase as well.

I saw someone else had asked what optics people are running on their 458S rifles. I too am curious about that (excluding irons of course). I was thinking of going with a Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism with EBR reticle.

From all the research I've done, it looks like this cartridge really took off. This thing is gonna be a fun to sight in at BlueCore with a muzzle brake on it.
    If you aren't funding, f**king or feeding me - you don't get to decide what my needs are. That settles out to one person in this whole country who gets a vote on my "needs".

Definitely will make an impression in an indoor range.

I run a SWFA 1-6x scope on mine and it is a perfect combination for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    I see Brownells offers a barrel in 458S, but so far no reviews on it. ]
    Reading on the 458SOCOM forum, Brownells (Satern) licensed the reamer from Marty (orignal designer of the 458S) so should be GTG. Wilson Combat and Radical went with a reverse engineered reamer from PTG, so they are frowned on a bit. I was hoping to try our the Radical barrel this weekend, but wind kept me away from the range.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    I'm now contemplating building an upper in this cartridge as well. From everything I've read, Tromix is really the best option in regard to barrels. Second to that would be RRA. I see Brownells offers a barrel in 458S, but so far no reviews on it. Once I pull the trigger on getting the barrel from Tromix, I'll start to piece together everything else. Reloading dies will likely be on my next Midway USA purchase as well.

I saw someone else had asked what optics people are running on their 458S rifles. I too am curious about that (excluding irons of course). I was thinking of going with a Vortex Spitfire 3x Prism with EBR reticle.

From all the research I've done, it looks like this cartridge really took off. This thing is gonna be a fun to sight in at BlueCore with a muzzle brake on it.
    You mention building an upper for this cartridge. Don't forget, you will need a modified lower as well - the ejection port needs to be opened up.

I run a Burris XTR 1-4 on mine, and my Wilson barrel is good to go.s

Good luck with the build, you will enjoy it.

If I had a son he would look like....Ben SideShow Bob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davsel View Post
    You mention building an upper for this cartridge. Don't forget, you will need a modified lower as well - the ejection port needs to be opened up.

I run a Burris XTR 1-4 on mine, and my Wilson barrel is good to go.s

Good luck with the build, you will enjoy it.
    Ummm....... The ejection ort is on the upper.......
    My T.P. wheeling and dealing feedback is here.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and it stinks more than mine.

Yo Homie, That my chainsaw ?