Close
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Newbie, or Trading Post Troll kbbeckius's Avatar

I've been interested in this idea for some time. I used to travel to the SE corner of the state on a daily basis, never saw any from hwy 287. From what I've been able to gather there has been reports of a population near the town of Brandon, and there was some concern about them disturbing the Sand Creek Massacre site. I would assume much of that part of the state may be to arid for them, there are great expanses with little natural water supplies. The most likely areas I would target would be the along Arkansas river, Two Buttes reservoir, John Martin reservoir, and the Neenoshe/Neegronda reservoir group. I would say that the Neenoshe/Neegronda reservoir area would be the most probable area to find them, given the proximity to Brandon/Sand Creek site. The town of Eads has a motel, and a restaurant, if overnight accommodations are needed. There is a CDOW, or wtf is it now....CPW? Colorado Parks and Wildlife?...office in Lamar....they may know more about it...

Thx Brad

Paintball Shooter

I went down there in april. Drove from Boulder and stopped in Lamar. We found the Div of wildlife office, the district ranger was in. Wish I could remember his name. but he is the pig expert down there. and a nice guy. He told us all pigs in the SE on public lands have been eradicated by sharpshooters from helicopters. We could try asking for permission on private property. Drove down kept weaving in and out on public land and KS. and OK. Lot's of ranches down there have no hunt signs. Spent one night on public land and then headed west towards Trinidad. No pigs but we did catch some fish. Planning a trip to Texas now. Long way but they are there. Bright spot is that pigs are not a problem in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Armada View Post
    I went down there in april. Drove from Boulder and stopped in Lamar. We found the Div of wildlife office, the district ranger was in. Wish I could remember his name. but he is the pig expert down there. and a nice guy. He told us all pigs in the SE on public lands have been eradicated by sharpshooters from helicopters. We could try asking for permission on private property. Drove down kept weaving in and out on public land and KS. and OK. Lot's of ranches down there have no hunt signs. Spent one night on public land and then headed west towards Trinidad. No pigs but we did catch some fish. Planning a trip to Texas now. Long way but they are there. Bright spot is that pigs are not a problem in Colorado.
    Unless this was recent, he's wrong. Read my first post.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot... Forget youth, what we need is a fountain of smart. There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots.
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. --Isaac Asimov
    Like, where's spyder been? That guy was like, totally cool and stuff. - foxtrot

Paintball Shooter

La Junta is a different ranger district. And there still are pigs on private land. I got all excited about hunting pigs based on the Denver DOW's advice. I guess you should do your research. Hopefully you have private land you can hunt them on.

High Power Shooter

Craigslist Ad. Free hog eradication. Lets shoot some piggies!

Paintball Shooter

Found the card of the area wildlife manager I spoke to in Lamar. He is the pig expert in SE Co.
    Travis Black
    719-336-6603
    travis.black@state.co.us

Gong Shooter

I grew up hunting elk, deer, goats, moose, etc., in Wyoming. But I'll tell you, there are few things I enjoy more than a good hog hunt in south Texas (or whereever you find the little buggers).

From the Texas Parks & Wildlife

What is pseudorabies and swine brucellosis?

Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.

Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains. It is treatable with specific antibiotics.

Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by espAmerica View Post
    From the Texas Parks & Wildlife

What is pseudorabies and swine brucellosis?

Pseudorabies, also known as "mad itch" is a swine herpes virus that may affect the respiratory, nervous and reproductive systems. Despite its name, it is not a rabies type disease but derives its name from the symptoms similar to a rabid animal. It is transmitted primarily through breeding but may also to be transmitted through respiratory secretions of the infected animal. Infected adult swine typically develop flu-like symptoms whereas young pigs can have severe respiratory and digestive symptoms and ultimately die. Pseudorabies poses no threat to humans but may be fatal to domestic livestock and pets.

Swine Brucellosis is an infectious, bacterial, reproductive disease that can cause abortion, low conception rates and other problems. It is transmittable to humans, known as undulant fever, and causes flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains. It is treatable with specific antibiotics.
    Yup same as bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggity View Post
    You're right, sorry. I'm on oxy and barbiturates for bulging discs and sciatica, I clearly am not thinking clearly!
    Shirley you must be kidding