Close
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Pickles; the Camel Kisser Irving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, and it seemed like your group didn't want to police brass Warren. I got a TON of it because of that. Thanks.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins

Shooting strong hand only or weak hand only is not something I enjoy for sure. But it is like bitter medicine, you know it is important but sucks at the time.
    All those moments will be lost in time,
    like tears in rain

Paper Hunter

I guess it's good being semi-ambidextrous. I think I did better relative to everyone else than ever before. Now, with even less slow! (but not much) Of course, what that probably really means is that there were more newbies than usual, is all.

I vote we re-shoot the "handcuffed prisoner transfer" stage next month with a Texas star on each side, just so I don't get any strange ideas that I'm improving. The bridge stage was very good because you had to shoot, move, and think all at the same time. I didn't like it though, because I had to shoot, move, and think all at the same time. I was just glad not to peg any no shoots on that one.

Based on Sticks' comments last month, he might be the long haired SO who had awful trouble with feed and ejection failures last month. I think we 3 were on the same squad last month, Irving...if that is your real name. It's kind of hard to be sure, with a lot of folks not using real names.

I WISH I was super awesome and good looking Chad4000's Avatar

Totally newb question but how do you get in on these shoots?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chad4000 View Post
    Just show up. Simple as that.

First I'd browse the rules though to make sure you're equipment is okay. Even if you equipment doesn't follow the rules, you can still usually shoot. As long as your equipment is SAFE. No small of the back or shoulder holsters for example.

The website for this particular shoot is www.fridpa.com. Every second Saturday of the month at the Clear Creek range at exit 235 Dumont, off of I-70. It is a pretty good time.

Match results just came out, and I did better than I expected, and better than the June match.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Based on Sticks' comments last month, he might be the long haired SO who had awful trouble with feed and ejection failures last month. I think we 3 were on the same squad last month, Irving...if that is your real name. It's kind of hard to be sure, with a lot of folks not using real names.

I slept through last month's match. The only long haired SO that I can think of is the guy with the beret. Is that who you mean? I'm just now starting to recognize most of the SO's. This match I started out on the prisoner stage. I used to use my real name on here. You sound familiar. Which one are you Robert? When I put on tape, I put really long strips on my shirt. I often make a smiley face out of the tape.

No thanks to the one handed Texas star, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
    Shooting strong hand only or weak hand only is not something I enjoy for sure. But it is like bitter medicine, you know it is important but sucks at the time.
    I'd actually like to see more of it (maybe one stage per match). I know that when I did the classifier match in March, that was a weak point for me. I'd really like to classify in October.
    "In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends." -John Churton Collins

89 shooters this month. Getting to the point where we almost need a 5th bay, and we definitely need more SOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    ...Sticks, which one are you? It seems like you are always there, but I have no idea who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    ...Based on Sticks' comments last month, he might be the long haired SO who had awful trouble with feed and ejection failures last month. ....
    ^^^^^^Yup^^^^^^

Tall, skinny, usually wears the black Beret. Sticks is the nickname that I have had for a loooooong time, and the same user name on most of the forums I frequent.

Didn't have ejection problems, just feed issues (on a brand new gun no less - that I have to send back to have the original barrel replaced ). Shot the same gun this month with the barrel out of my regular carry gun. Shot smooth as silk with only one failure to go into battery which was likely a limp wristing. Shot surprisingly well for something that weighs nearly half of what I am used to shooting.

If the stages were easy, everyone would get bored. Mick does keep it interesting. Stages are difficult, but not impossible. If you are having difficulty, so is everyone else, ergo the playing field is still level. So long as the SO's keep it fun, it's still better than mowing the lawn.

More and more the stages are being designed for problem solving on the go (which I prefer). It's not a perfect substitute for formal civilian defensive carry training, but for those of us who do carry every day, it's training none the less. You are learning skills that will help you if (gods forbid) you are ever forced to use your weapon in defense. Move, shoot, use of cover, target selection, being cautious of what is behind your target, reloading, simple tactics, etc. Exception being the targets are not attacking you (yet) or shooting back (can't), and if you ever encounter more than 3 bad guys at once, you made some poor decisions prior to the incident.

If you don't carry, and this is recreation/sport, this is infinitely better than indoor or lane shooting regardless of how hard the stages are.

Don't fret the procedural penalties (ex - shooting on the move, engaging the targets in the proper order...). Just learn from the experience. I got 2 on the bridge, and a FTN on bay 3 for not slicing the pie all the way. It happens to all of us. The biggest thing is be safe, and have fun.

Hopefully we will soon have some reliable movers (not pop-ups and swingers - actual moving from left-right & front/back). Several of us have designs on the table, just need time to build and test.

REMINDER - Safety Officer training in Montrose Sept 25th. I know it's a long drive. Make a weekend out of it. We need more SOs for our club. We're barely able to cover the 4 squads as it is.
    Sticks

(Catchy sig line coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad4000 View Post
    http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3717
    All those moments will be lost in time,
    like tears in rain

Blog Entries

Thanks Sticks. I'm not saying that I don't think we should have stages like the bridge stage, just that I didn't like it because it was hard. This year is the first that I've been able to shoot at moving targets and I love it. I can't wait to shoot some stuff that moves left and right and forward and backward.

Paper Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Irving View Post
    I slept through last month's match. The only long haired SO that I can think of is the guy with the beret. Is that who you mean? I'm just now starting to recognize most of the SO's. This match I started out on the prisoner stage. I used to use my real name on here. You sound familiar. Which one are you Robert? When I put on tape, I put really long strips on my shirt. I often make a smiley face out of the tape.
    I'm the guy named Robert. We were in the same squad. IIRC I was blue shorts and t shirt, no hat. I'm partially regretting the hat part. Drawing a blank on the tape smiley. I'm a pretty motivated taper though, since it helps move things along. This month I was mostly BSing with bald Isaac and bearded Jared (the guy that sounds an awful lot like Seth Rogen) and some of their friends. Maybe next month I'll show up with a "Hi, My Name Is" tag.

Sticks - is there a possibility for a 5th bay there? The only other one I can think of is the rifle bay (not the one with the "house" to shoot from) so it'd have to be a deep field stage. Is that something that's been discussed with the range club? I'd rather shoot 5 stages than 4, and I think with splitting into smaller squads it probably wouldn't take hugely more time. We did run awful long this month. I was actually glad to hear them shooting the rifle match while we were finishing our last stage. I was the last guy out of the parking lot across the street - 5PM on the nose.

Default FRIDPA Winter Matches

FRIDPA matches this time of year are a gamble on the weather. In years past I had complaints of cancelling the match when the weather on the range did not warrant it. Now we often make the Go/NoGo on the range because the weather forecast and traffic cameras don’t show the actual range conditions and many times we have a pocket of acceptable weather in which to hold a match. On match day I get there at 7am which is the start of Setup and if cancelled will wait till after 8am which is the start of the Match Conduct Safety Course to inform the new shooters; I will then drive home and update the website and send out emails. I started using the Decision During Setup two seasons ago for “ify” forecasts and this was the first time I cancelled a match. FRIDPA matches this time of year are a gamble on the weather, if there is rain/snow on the ground, windy and the temperatures are approaching freezing then I will cancel the match the preceding Friday night. When the forecast is “ify” I take the gamble and drive to the range on the outside chance we can hold a match.
    If the complainers don’t want to take that gamble during the winter months then just stay home.
    Last edited by MickGIS; 11-26-2012 at 13:00.